Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Reef! The Great Barrier Reef!

January 23


The boat ride to the reef platform was a bit rough for many. Paper bags and napkins were handed out readily. All four of us were able seamen at least until we got up to walk through the boat as the swells lifted and fell. Mom squealed as she took her unsteady steps, felt her stomach jump into her throat and then burst into laughter. The rest of us enjoyed the amusement as she made her way along the aisle. Each of us put on our own clown show at some point on the ride. Swift Eddy, our crew member, came with his pocked knife to remove Patrick's beard so he would get the proper seal on his mask. Patrick opted for vascaline instead.

After the lifeguard gave the all clear, I was the first one in the water. I put on my flippers and was mobbed by blue and yellow fish, only later to look up and see one of the crew tossing fish food at my feet. I was the one now squealing with laughter. Things were off to a great start. I flopped in, put my mask down and then quickly scrambled back to the platform. JELLYFISH! They were everywhere! I got the lifeguards attention and he assured me it was okay so back into the water I flopped and the colorful world of the reef and its fish was below me. Dad followed and then Patrick and then mom. With waves and a mouthful of salt water, mom shortly opted for the glass bottom and semi-sub which she enjoyed tremendously. The rest of us swam until our fingers were pruny, and then more. My highlight was swimming with a large turtle. A close second was the reef shark that I saw just before we went back to shore.

As we walked back along the esplanade toward our hotel. Bats were flying about. Big bats. The biggest I had ever seen and there were lots.

Our FAVORITE Best Western (see yesterday's post) called us a taxi to bring us to our new hotel. We arrived at the other Best Western in town and there was nothing but a locked door. We ended up getting the driving tour of Cairns while we tried to make it to the correct hotel. Thankfully our driver was patient. We got a suite with two separate bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms, a kitchenette, a balcony and a living room at a discounted rate because of the troubles (lack of beds) the previous night. We ordered a pizza, watched the Australian Open Semi-Finals and then crashed.

We had gotten off to a rocky start in Cairns but Day #1 turned out to be a success. Thanks SunSeekers Cruises and the fish at Harvey reef.

1 comment:

  1. BLISS! I can just hear you squealing with laughter! Thank you for sharing such colorful stories...can you tell that I'm catching up on all your adventures ALL at once?!

    ReplyDelete