Saturday, January 25, 2014

Thoughts on Tasmania


There is so much untouched landscape on this island It is a treasure for nature lovers. I love it. I recommend visiting with a good pair of hiking boots and some time. The winding roads lead you past sheep and farmland, over hills and through forests. Although there is some human presence, you often forget and feel that the place is all your own. If I were to count the number of vehicles we pass and the number of less fortunate animals who are still along the white line of the road, I believe the numbers might come out even. The island feels wild still. It makes me wonder what the rest of the world would be like had humans not changed the landscapes for our own purposes. Luckily we did not add to the road kill count. Patrick was fortunate to miss the two hopping pademelons (think small kangaroo) that jumped darted in front of the Apollo van at dusk. The brakes were fully engaged later when a chubby wombat waddled across the road. This is their place.


No comments:

Post a Comment