We drive from our camp spot and bull
into an overlook. The ground is specked with orchids and we enjoy
the view into the valley below. I am glad that we headed east of
Cradle Mountain to camp or we would have missed this treasure. The
forecast was wrong: no rain in sight. The vew clouds above us are
fluffy white and do not obstruct the view to the top spires of Cradle
Mountain. Mom and dad choose to take the trail around Dove Lake
while Patrick and I take the opportunity of such a lovely day to
summit the mountain. When it rains 270 days of the year here, we
nearly feel it is our duty to appreciate the clear views from the top
when we arrive on such a lovey day. We pass by lakes, scrample up
rocky faces, weave through forest and in the last hour, clamber over
large rocks before sumitting. For some, their hearts beat fast
because of the exertion and cardio. I am reminded of my fear of
heights and my heart beats fast for an all together different reason.
Upon reaching the top, I am calm and the sun is warm with a nice
breeze. We can see for miles in ever direction. Peaceful.
Beautiful. Surely to be amungst my favorite moments in Australia.
We hike down quickly in order to meet
my parents at the van. Worried we had taken so long, they arrived
only 5 minutes before us after also having had a lovely day in the
park. Just like most things seem to be working on our trip, the day
couldn't have worked out much better. Well okay maybe an extra water
bottle on the trail but we rehydrated with some sparkling apple cider
and then said goodbye to Cradle Mountain, a very special place.
We craved a shower, laundry and a good
nights rest. We stopped at Longford River Caravan Park. Dinner was
burgers, beer, potatoes and a fresh salad followed up with Tim Tams
for desert. (Patrick and I are addicted). Ducks followed us arround,
but there were no spottings of the duck billed platapus that were
sometimes spotted in the river. I was determined with both a evening
and morning platapus hunt amungst the trees on the bank, but to no
avail. With only a day and a half left on the island, I am doubtful
that we will find one in the wild. I can't complain however because
our wildlife spotting has been better than I could have imagined –
skinks, 6 echidnas, 4 possums, over a dozen wombats and so many
hopping marsupials that I have lost count. The bird life is
everywhere too. I need the help of my niece Greta, an avid birder,
to help me identify them all.
TIM TAMS?! Amazing scenery?! Cardio?! I'd join you if I could...I'm thinking that a good hike (at 3 days short of 40 weeks) is the VERY thing that would get this baby on the way out!!!
ReplyDelete